"Hey Jude ... take a sad song & make it better!" - the Beatles

My goal is to turn my disabilities around to abilities using art therapy as a means of stroke rehabilitation on my hands & arms. I want to also use cards to spread kindness, show different fun card techniques, bring awareness to issues that are important to me, and to just spread joy in general!

Friday, December 16, 2016

Let it Snow - Let it Snow - Let it Snow

Let it snow - let it snow - let it snow!!!  It snowed this week where I live and inspired these cards!  It was so beautiful and I love the white - but I also love the subtle hints of blue and purple when the sun would hit it a certain way.  I wanted to try to recreate that a bit.

I've only done the distress ink watercolor technique a couple of times and wanted to try it again with those blues and purples.  There were two techniques I was wanting to do - the blending technique with the addition of water droplets and the "smushing" technique (for lack of a better term).  I really loved how both turned out and don't know which one I liked better.  Probably the latter as it was easiest!!!


I started with a piece of Tim Holtz watercolor distress paper and taped it down.  I then blended Seedless Preserves, Mermaid Lagoon, Broken China, Chipped Sapphire, and Milled Lavender inks on it with the foam blender pads.  I used the Tim Holtz distress sprayer and sprayed water and blotted it up with a paper towel and then sprinkled water in my hands and dropped it down to create larger water drops.  I then added some white splatters with Tim Holtz picket fence distress paint on a stamping block which I had watered down and flicked on with a paint brush.  I set that aside to dry.

Distress watercolor snowflake cards

I then took some white card stock and cut out the My Favorite Things doily snowflakes dies which I love!!!  They are snowflakes but they are actually larger circles so I just love how they turn out.  After I cut them out of the white card stock, I used my Stampin' Up die brush to get the little pieces out of the snowflakes.  I absolutely love this tool as it completely makes my life so much easier rather than picking each tiny piece one by one out of the die.  There were a couple of pieces left in and I just used my picker tool to get them out.  I then set the card stock aside as I was going to use that with the watercolor panel above.

MFT Snowflake Die cut out with distress watercolor background & Concord & 9th sentiment
I took the Tim Holtz distress inks in all the colors and "smushed" them down onto some plastic packaging.  I then added water to the inks and actually picked up the snowflakes with my tweezers and smushed them into the color (thus the technique name!!!).  They turned out soooo fun and cool!  I loved the way they looked and the different tones of color you get.  I then set those aside to dry as well.


Snowflakes distressed with "smushing" technique and adhered to kraft cardstock
My final step was putting the cards together.  I took the white card stock that I had cut the snowflakes out of in the earlier step and backed it with the distressed watercolor panel - it was so pretty!  One of the snowflakes didn't cut the way that I had liked so I knew that that was where my sentiment was going to go.  I took some blue card stock and created a banner and then added a sentiment from the Concord and 9th Holy Night stamp set to a scrap piece of white card stock and mounted that with foam tape.  I mounted both to my panel and it was complete - just simple and beautiful!

Supplies for the snowflake cards
With the other card I took the distressed snowflakes and I used my Tombow mono glue and added that to each snowflake and placed it strategically over the kraft card stock that I had cut in half and folded to a top folding A2 card.  I used a baby wipe to press them down as I knew that it would also wick away some of the ink and cause a little more of a distress look, which is what I was going for.  I then used the same Concord & 9th stamp set and added the sentiment with the Seedless Preserves and Chipped Sapphire distress inks.  It turned out to be another simple but fantastic card.  I just love the way that the snowflakes look on this card.

So, those were my recreations of my snow in the back yard.  Doesn't quite look like white snow - but it was my interpretation of the beauty that I saw in the snowflakes!!!!  Plus, it was fun to do these watercolor techniques!  I must do them again soon!  Fun, fun, fun!  I always say, "Do what makes you happy (as long as it's legal)!!!!"

Have an awesome holiday!  Jude  :-)

______________________________________________

Social Media Links: (Please visit me for more fun art therapy!)
YouTube - Click HERE!
Hey Jude Cards Instagram - Click HERE!
Jude U Personal Instagram - Click HERE!
Snapchat Username - judeunnone
See you there!  Thanks!
______________________________________________
LINKS:

Stampin'Up - if you are interested in anything from Stampin'Up - click HERE!!


No comments:

Post a Comment