"Hey Jude ... take a sad song & make it better!" - the Beatles

My goal is to turn my disabilities around to abilities using art therapy as a means of stroke rehabilitation on my hands & arms. I want to also use cards to spread kindness, show different fun card techniques, bring awareness to issues that are important to me, and to just spread joy in general!

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Dog Are Awesome Series - (1) - Personalized Backgrounds

This is the first entry for a new series I have entitled Dogs are Awesome!  I decided to call the series that because, well, they are!  haha.  I would like to do a series of dog related cards and also bring attention to various rescue organizations through this series.  I'm sure you know by now, that this is definitely where my heart lies.  Additionally, I would love to build up my stash of "dog cards" and eventually sell them on Etsy and have those proceeds go to various shelters.  That is definitely one of my dreams and I believe it is achievable!

Dogs are Awesome Series - One - Personalized Background


I want to bring the focus today on the Rescue Strong Supply Company and specifically on CJ (owner/creator), Luna (co-owner/co-creator/doggy-in-charge), and his beautiful wife and baby boy.  There are two reasons that I want to feature them.  The first is that he created the artwork that I have used in each of the backgrounds for my cards today!  He is an incredible artist and has done a multitude of amazing pieces that have then been made into books, shirts, mugs, hats, etc., and then he donates the proceeds to various rescue organizations in need!  I made a contribution to a specific shelter and he created this cute background piece featuring my four dogs faces, a ball, a bone, and even Buster's love for french fries!!!!  (I promise they are in moderation - but he is obsessed with "fri fries" as we call them!!!!).  The background is a digital file that was sent to me and can be used for anything that I want to use it for - I just love that!

The second reason I wanted to focus on them is because CJ and Luna have a specific piece of artwork that has been my "rock" during my disability (see below) when it comes to what I can and cannot do for rescues and for dogs in need.  Now, don't get me wrong - there are tons of pieces of artwork that I love at Rescue Strong Supply Company and I have many of them in my home.  But, when I was down knowing that, because of my disabilities and the state I find myself in every single day with pain and other hindrances, I could never go and DO like I wanted to for the rescue community, I needed these words as a reminder.  This poster reiterates to me that it is everyone and every small thing that matters and that we can all make a difference.  That is definitely applicable to helping animals - but it is also applicable to life.

Piece by Rescue Strong Supply Company that inspired me - and continues to inspire me!

So, for my first dog series set of cards I used some Simon Says Stamp card stock that I cut down to an A2 size and used for a base.  I then used the wonderful background image that Rescue Strong Supply Company provided to me and, for the first card, colored in all of the images of the exceedingly handsome and beautiful dogs!!! (Maybe I'm a bit partial!)  Next, I added it to a Hero Arts wood grain card base and used the My Favorite Things You Have My Heart stamp set for the additional images and the Paper Smooches Lucky Dog stamp set for the sentiment.  I stamped them with Avery Elle Cherry and Avery Elle Truffle ink and roughed the edges of my sentiment strip with the Tim Holtz paper distresser before running it through the Cherry ink one last time.  I also used clear wink of Stella to give it some pizzazz!

Card One - That's my doggies on that background (and even Busters french fries!!!)

For the second card I took the background image and created a splatter effect all over the background with various colors of Tim Holtz Distress Markers.  I scribbled them on an acrylic block, added water, and then flicked them on the paper to create paint splatter.  Once dried, I ran it through my die cutting machine with the My Favorite Things stitched rectangles.  I backed this with foam tape and added it to an awesome piece of patterned paper from my Doodlebug Puppy Love paper pack and then attached that with Tombow glue.  I cut another piece of patterned paper from the same pack into sentiment strips and used these cute sayings to randomly place across the front of the card as an encouragement card.

Encouragement Card with a Splatter Effect Background

Finally, on the last card, I once again used the background image and cut it down so that a larger border of the card base would show.  I then added a tag and created a tag backer with patterned paper and tied those with black string.  I stamped the tag using Memento Tuxedo black ink with another image from the MFT You Have My Heart stamp set and then colored that in with my Spectrum Noir alcohol markers.  I attached the tag with foam tape and, because the tag backer had lots of color, I decided to add dots in various colors of the Tonic Nuvo Drops to create a fun and festive look.  This is probably one of my most favorite things to do on a card right now!

You Have My Heart - Bright and Colorful & Encouraging!

I love these cards - especially because my precious babies are actually on the cards!!!  I also love the meaning behind doing them and the encouragement I received from CJ, Luna and Rescue Strong Supply Company.  They didn't make me feel because I was doing a small thing that it had no value - in fact, they did the opposite and I cannot thank them enough for that.

Supplies for Dog Cards
Supplies plus Tonic Nuvo Drops used
Spectrum Noir alcohol markers used

I hope you enjoy the first installment of the Dogs Are Awesome card series!  I can't wait to do it again!  As always, thanks for your encouragement through my art therapy journey, your patience with my disabilities, and all that you guys mean to me.  You are the best!  Jude  :-)
________________________________

Social Media Links: (Please visit me for more fun art therapy!)
YouTube - Click HERE!
Hey Jude Cards Instagram - Click HERE!
Jude U Personal Instagram - Click HERE!
Snapchat Username - judeunnone
See you there!  Thanks!
________________________________
Links:

NOTE - when I have enough cards to stock the Etsy shop, I will make it live and let you know.  The Dogs Are Awesome section proceeds will solely be for giving to shelters!!!
________________________________
Supplies:


No comments:

Post a Comment