"Hey Jude ... take a sad song & make it better!" - the Beatles

My goal is to turn my disabilities around to abilities using art therapy as a means of stroke rehabilitation on my hands & arms. I want to also use cards to spread kindness, show different fun card techniques, bring awareness to issues that are important to me, and to just spread joy in general!

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Women For Women Series - Two - Nichol Spohr

I started a "Women for Women" series a little while back because I had seen somethings that weren't so nice and I just wanted to do the opposite - flood the individual with nice!  You guys all seemed to love the series and I heard of lots of you spreading that kindness around as well!  You are simply amazing!  Well, today's featured woman in the series is Nichol Spohr!  I'm sure you all know of her in the card making community - she is fabulous and makes wonderful cards (and other hobbies too!!!) and has the most calming voice when doing her videos - I love that!  I always learn so much from her - especially scene building techniques and lots of new ways to do things.  So, we are paying tribute to Nichol today - please visit her YouTube channel, blog or Instagram and send her lots of love!

The set of cards I made today are stitched cards.  I made a set with words stitched a few weeks ago and I will try to link it - if not you can just search on stitched.  The difference is, of course, that those were words and these are shapes.  Particularly a heart shape.  I saw Nichol do this on her channel back in January I believe and I just loved it and knew I wanted to try it!  I was worried about my hands at first because of the stroke issues, but it all turned out great!  Sometimes it is easier even to do the stitching as my art therapy for the day rather than card making.  So, it's a win-win!!!


I started with the Studio Calico border die that includes stitching holes.  I then added the Waffle Craft hearts die for stitching.  I made a few in bed as I mentioned, using just regular DMC floos in various colors.  I did a couple on camera as well to ensure you could see the various stitches that I was doing.  Afterwards, I cut out some Simon Says Stamp wafer thin dies and had some words ready to go to add to the cards.  I also used the My Favorite Things  Blueprints 24 to create some of the outlines and the MFT stitched rectangles for others.  With the exception of the first one, which I messed up while stamping (used Catherine Pooler ink - which is my favorite and it is definitely an operator error!), I used Memento tuxedo black ink to stamp sentiments from CZ Designs (they are a little bit sweet and a little bit snarky - I love them).  I really liked how they were moving along!


To put the cards together I used foam tape on the backs of the panels and then attached them to card bases I made from some Simon Says Stamp card stock.  I added the die cut word phrases with pen glue and then, on some of the cards, I used the Dewdrop inks to add some distressing around the outside.  Oh, and back to the one that I messed up!!!  What I did to cover that mistake was to cut two hearts out that would cover the stamped image and give a small amount of dimension to distract from the error!  I also added a gold heart to the middle!  I think that it turned out okay - at least I didn't have to resew that one!

I hope you enjoyed all of the cards and I thank you always for being here. I also hope you are enjoying the Women for Women series.  It's definitely one of my favorites to do!

Please go show some love to Nichol Spohr.  She is an incredible card making teacher and I feel she should be flooded with compliments!!!!!

Have a great day!  Jude  :-)
____________________________________

Social Media Links: (Please visit me for more fun art therapy!)
YouTube - Click HERE!
Hey Jude Cards Instagram - Click HERE!
Jude U Personal Instagram - Click HERE!
Snapchat Username - judeunnone
See you there!  Thanks!
_____________________________________
Please click HERE for Nichol Spohr's YouTube channel!
Please click HERE for Nichol Spohr's blog!!
_____________________________________
Supplies:


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jude,
    Can you send me your address ? I made a card for you ! KWarneratKwarnerstudio.com

    ReplyDelete