"Hey Jude ... take a sad song & make it better!" - the Beatles

My goal is to turn my disabilities around to abilities using art therapy as a means of stroke rehabilitation on my hands & arms. I want to also use cards to spread kindness, show different fun card techniques, bring awareness to issues that are important to me, and to just spread joy in general!

Monday, July 17, 2017

Mermaid Wonder!!!

I recently got this incredible mermaid set from Ellen Hutson and I absolutely love it!  That is kind of funny because I truly do not like to make mermaid or unicorn cards for some reason!  Haha!  I think I had too much of them after having four kids and I just had so much of them around the house (three of our kids are girls) that I was "over it"!!!  But, this new set that came out from Ellen Hutson had the sentiments that were perfect and I couldn't resist.  And, honestly, it was super fun to color and create cards with - so I'm glad I got it!

I made six cards because I had all of these ideas running through my head and wanted to just capture them all!  I started with stamping the mermaid tail.  I stamped it with Memento tuxedo black in on a couple of them, white heat embossing powder on a couple, and then I grabbed some green embossing powder and blue sparkle embossing powder to just make something different!

After these dried I colored all of them in, with the exception of the green and blue sparkle, with the zig clean color real brush markers.  These are not my favorite markers to work with because of the tip and my hand issues, but they do blend wonderfully with water or with themselves, so I decided to go ahead and use them.

Next, I started on the cards.  I used the Mama Elephant union dies, My Favorite Things stitched rectangle, and WPlus9 sunshine layers to create the base pieces for the mermaids.  I also used some paper from Stampin' Up, velum, and Lawn Fawn watercolor wonder paper to create some fun backgrounds.  I then got all of the card bases together out of Simon Says Stamp card stock.

For the first card, I wanted to have a bit of dimension so I used the die cut pieces from the union dies and placed them on alternating between tape runner and foam strips.  I then added the mermaid tail to pop out of the inside of the card and added some shell sequins that I have in my stash from Kat's Scrappiness!  I tried to use a different sentiment from the set on each of the cards as that was totally my favorite thing about the stamp set in the first place!

On the next card I used a base of blue card stock that I cut with the stitched rectangles and then added some blue velum pieces that I cut with the Lawn Fawn wave border dies.  I attached the waves and then tucked the little mermaid tail down into the wave and added some Hero Arts iridescent sequins to the waves.  Once I added the sentiment, I was finished with this one!

Next, I wanted to make a shaker card so, again, I used the stitched rectangles and cut a blue base to look like water and then, because the tail was in pink hues, I cut a pink border for the shaker window with left over card stock I had from a previous project.  I added the acetate and the foam strips and then put some shaker bits from Studio Calico in the center after I had stamped the sentiment.  I added the mermaid tail with glue and dimensional pieces so it was raised to the same level as the shaker box.  Turned out fun!

On this next card I used the WPlus9 sunshine layers die to cut a piece out of velum and then attached at the stitch line with clear ink.  I added the mermaid tail onto the card with an action wobbler and then added the sentiment (probably my favorite sentiment out of the whole group!!!).  I wanted to cover the stitched line and the hint of glue showing so, since the tail was done in rainbow colors, I took all different colors of my tonic nuvo drops and added those in rainbow order around the seem of the velum.  I think this is my favorite card!

Next I wanted to use some paper that I have from Stampin' Up called Serene Scenery (I love this paper pack so much!!!) and I added that paper to the base, but cut a slit in where the ocean water was so that I could tuck the little tail right down into the slit!  I then added the sentiment and some droplets from Pretty Pink Posh to give it a little bit of rain or water look.  I didn't want to add to much else because this was the green embossed tail and I felt it stood out a lot on it's own.

For the final card I used another piece of the watercolor wishes paper from Lawn Fawn and attached that to the base of the card.  I then took out an older set from Hero Arts that had some sea like flowers or vines and stamped those with Avery Elle ink in Jungle and Lemongrass.  I added the sentiment and then, once again, used those water droplets to add to the water look.  I raised this mermaid tail up a bit on foam tape and, with that, we were finished!

I had so much fun creating these cards and I hope you enjoyed the video.  I would love to see some of your creations as well.  Have an awesome day and thanks so much for sharing your time with me today.  Jude  :-)
___________________________________________


Social Media Links: (Please visit me for more fun art therapy!)
YouTube - Click HERE!
Hey Jude Cards Instagram - Click HERE!
Jude U Personal Instagram - Click HERE!
Snapchat Username - judeunnone
See you there!  Thanks!
___________________________________________
Supplies:


No comments:

Post a Comment