"Hey Jude ... take a sad song & make it better!" - the Beatles

My goal is to turn my disabilities around to abilities using art therapy as a means of stroke rehabilitation on my hands & arms. I want to also use cards to spread kindness, show different fun card techniques, bring awareness to issues that are important to me, and to just spread joy in general!

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Making Backgrounds Three Ways - Making Card Sets

Have a little video here - well lot a video - about making backgrounds three different ways and then making these into card sets for gifts.  I did these as a gift for my Mom for her birthday and they are all three different types of daisy stamps because my Mom just loves loves loves daisies!  I wanted to ensure to give her something that she likes!  I then made those backgrounds into card sets and sent them along to my Mom.  Hopefully she will use the cards this time - as last time I made her a card set she said she didn't want to actually send them to anyone because she just wanted to keep them!!!  Haha!  So, I made a bunch this time so she could just send them out!!!

I started with Hero Arts Daisy wood block stamp.  I find it easier when using a wood block stamp to just lay the stamp face up and ink it and then lay your card stock on top and use a piece of copy paper to rub your hands across in order to get a smooth coating of ink.  I did that with Simon Says Stamp Clear ink and with the Memento Tuxedo black ink.  I used watercolor paper as well as regular card stock so that I could get a couple of different looks.  I then used the white and clear embossing powders from Hero Arts to give me two different looks on the clear ink.

For the second set of backgrounds I used a Ranger Dylusions rubber stamp set of daisies that was more of an abstract and fun look.  For this set I actually used the stamp positioning tool and took the foam piece out because they were rubber mounted stamps.  I arranged them as I thought would look good and then swung the door over to grab the stamps.  I also used Simon Says Stamp clear ink and Memento Tuxedo black ink as well as two different types of paper for these cards.  But for this one I used Antiquities Ochre embossing ink and the White embossing ink for a little bit of a different look.  I also did one in My Favorite Things beige ink for a lighter look.

For the third set of backgrounds I used The Ton's Close Up flower and the heavy mounting block that I have with a handle from Prima.  I love that block for so many different uses and I wanted to try it out with this technique and see if it worked.  I usually just lay square background stamps on the craft mat and do the same technique that I used for the wood mounted stamp in the first technique, but I wanted to try something different.  So, you can use either one and they both work great.  I used the Simon Says Stamp clear ink again and some different colors of embossing powder just to add a little fun!

I then (over the course of a few days because of my disabilities and pain) colored the backgrounds in in various ways.  I watercolored some with the "smushing" technique - watercolored with Distress crayons - colored in with Spectrum Alcohol Markers - watercolored with Spectrum Aqua Markers - watercolored with Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers - and more!  I just had some fun with it.  The entire time I tried to think of my Mom and the wonderful things she has done for me in life and put the happy and the love into it as I was making them.

Next, I took the three different sets and tried to finish the cards in various ways.  I wanted them all to be similar, but different.  I tried to use generic sentiments so that my Mom could send them out to whomever - whenever!!!!  I hope she uses them this time!!!  It is such a compliment that she wants to hoard them but I can make more!

I hope this helped with different ways to do backgrounds.  Sometimes I just like to make a whole bunch of backgrounds this way and then set them aside to make cards later.  I also do this with coloring or art work when I am hurting and stuck in bed.  I use those for backgrounds on cards as well.  So, maybe you can try one of these ideas and let me know if it worked for you!  I would love to see what you create!


Thanks so much for always being so supportive and awesome!  You guys are the best of the best!  Jude  :-)
____________________________________

Social Media Links: (Please visit me for more fun art therapy!)
YouTube - Click HERE!
Hey Jude Cards Instagram - Click HERE!
Jude U Personal Instagram - Click HERE!
Snapchat Username - judeunnone
See you there!  Thanks!
____________________________________
Links:

Stampin'Up - if you are interested in anything from Stampin'Up - click HERE!!
To order the Simon Says Stamp monthly kit - click HERE!
For more information on the Love from Lizi kit - click HERE!
____________________________________
Supplies:

No comments:

Post a Comment