"Hey Jude ... take a sad song & make it better!" - the Beatles

My goal is to turn my disabilities around to abilities using art therapy as a means of stroke rehabilitation on my hands & arms. I want to also use cards to spread kindness, show different fun card techniques, bring awareness to issues that are important to me, and to just spread joy in general!

Thursday, May 4, 2017

Hello - It's Me! Watercolor Cards - Zig vs Spectrum Aqua

Hello!  It's Me!  Haha - kidding!!!!  I loved this stamp set from Mama Elephant just because of that Adele song!!!!  I saw so many examples of this colored, water colored, painted, etc., and every single time that song would go through my head!  So, I decided that I would have to just have it for myself as well!  I loved the contrast of the word with the flowers in the background and felt it would be an awesome set to practice my water coloring techniques.  I also wanted to do a quick comparison of the Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers and the Spectrum Noir Aqua Markers to see if there are any similarities and/or differences when using them for water coloring this type of image on this type of paper (used Tim Holtz distress water coloring paper.)
Hello Water Color Cards - Zig vs Spectrum Aqua

So, I stamped the images first in Memento tuxedo black ink using the stamp positioner tool to ensure I got a clean image.  I then stamped the image in clear distress ink and sprinkled them with Hero Arts white embossing powder and heat dried them to give them the white raised layers.  I love that look!  It is so much easier to water color on as well.  I wanted to do one of each image in the two coloring mediums.
Hello Card Supplies

I started with the Zig Clean Color real brush markers.  I have a difficult time with these markers because of my hand issues.  I know that every one else absolutely loves them and they are most definitely incredible markers and create incredible effects - it's just that because the nib is so flexible it is hard for my hand to personally control.  They still created some fun colors though and I would definitely say they seem to produce a brighter effect.  I'm sure if you don't have hand issues, then you will love these markers.  Additionally, I wanted to leave my mistakes in the video (in case anyone makes the same mistakes I do so we can both learn from them) and I didn't heat dry the black memento ink before painting so it bled and I ended up not being able to use that piece.
Zig Clean Color Real Brush markers used

Spectrum Noir Aqua markers used

I then moved on to the Spectrum Noir Aqua Markers.  I liked the wider handles on these markers and the dual tips.  I noticed if I used the brush tip I got brighter colors and if I used the pointed tip I ended up with more muted colors.  I personally liked that because I have a difficult time getting lighter colors because of my hand strength as I am unable to pull back on the various pens that I use to give a lighter effect in control of my hands.  Additionally, I noticed that even the brush nib was a bit harder and less flexible that the Zig's so, in my situation, that helps me a lot because it gives some resistance to my hand and causes me to shake less.  I know that these are not things that everyone is going to have to deal with, but some of the people that have followed are also disabled in various ways and this might be useful for them.  I just hope it is helpful.  Both markers are wonderful and are excellent quality products, but in my situation, I prefer the Spectrum markers.
Mama Elephant Botanic Hello with paper from Simon Says Stamp and a Love From Lizi kit (colored with Spectrum)

So, after coloring the panels, I needed to make them into cards.  As I said, I couldn't use the one that had bled so we had three cards to make.  I had three card bases made with Simon Says Stamp card stock, cut in half and folded to the A2 size.  I had various pieces of patterned paper from my stash as well as some specialty papers left over from some Love From Lizi kits I have had in the past.  I put all of these together on the cards and then I added some pearls and gems (both from Love From Lizi past kits) and some Tonic Nuvo drops in Sugared Almond, Buttermilk, Neptune and Carnation Pink.
Botanic Hello with SSS Paper and Patterned Paper from my Stash - used Tonic Nuvo Drops for embellishment (colored with Spectrum)
Botanic Hello with SSS Paper and glitter paper from Love From Lizi previous kit (colored with Zig Clean Color Real Brush)

I really liked the way these came out and I'm glad that I got to compare the two for my own personal purposes.  I hope that it was, in some ways, helpful to you guys as well.  Looking forward to making some more videos soon and I hope you guys have an awesome day!  Jude  :-)
_______________________________________

Social Media Links: (Please visit me for more fun art therapy!)
YouTube - Click HERE!
Hey Jude Cards Instagram - Click HERE!
Jude U Personal Instagram - Click HERE!
Snapchat Username - judeunnone
See you there!  Thanks!
_______________________________________
Links:

Stampin'Up - if you are interested in anything from Stampin'Up - click HERE!!
*Note that there is a new catalog coming out with Stampin' Up here in the next few weeks - you can check it out online or you can request a copy online as well - just go to the site above!  Fun!
To order the Simon Says Stamp monthly kit - click HERE!
For more information on the Love from Lizi kit - click HERE!
_______________________________________
Supplies:


No comments:

Post a Comment